Sunday, March 16, 2008

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Ganny!!


Today is my Grandma's 78th birthday. She lives in Oklahoma and loves to check each of her grandkids' blogs so I thought I would dedicate a post to her on her special day. She is an incredible woman and has so many qualities that I admire. She really was and still is the best grandma a kid could ask for. She made our childhood happy and memorable. And she spoiled us. She let us get away with things like using her nice sheets to roll down the hill and never complaining about them getting messed up or the extra laundry. And playing with the pencil sharpeners, and going to the fair, and walks to the pond or oil well, the list could go on & on. It never seemed like we were a burden to have around and she never seemed tired or put out about having to take care of us (all 4 plus some) but was always patient when I know she had to be, at the very least TIRED. Actually I do remember her offering me $1 to take a nap. I can still feel myself lying on her bed trying so hard to go to sleep...Jen, maybe you should try that with Sam. Ganny's house was always a welcome, comforting place, literally our second home. To this day the smell of coffee and bacon make me feel like a kid at Ganny's house again. I have great memories of getting off the bus and having crackers and orange juice. And we always had to call "I get to sleep with Ganny!!" She always made sure we were taken care of and supported us by attending all of our school functions. Remember WARRIOR POWER!! She was definitely the rock of our family, always steady and sure when so many other things in our life weren't. It is scary to think about how different my life would be without the impact of my Ganny. As I have come to know and understand her from an adult perspective I am grateful for the example she is in so many areas. She didn't have the easiest childhood yet she overcame the obstacles she faced and I believe some of those experiences contributed to her unique perspective in taking care of us. She was married to my grandpa for over 50 years even though there were probably times when they could have gotten a divorce like so many people do, but they showed that you just suck things up and stay together. I would like to think that she instilled a good work ethic in me. I may not always be working but when I am, I am really working. My grandma exposed us to many different religions. We attended Mennonite Bible school and Southern Baptist revivals and never thought twice about it. I am grateful that I had first hand experience with people of other faiths so that I understand that they are people too, and good people at that. We are all just trying to do the best we can. Now even at 78 my grandma goes on several Faith Medical Missions to third world countries every year. She sews for a western shirt company, Mo'Betta (Garth Brooks wears them) and keeps busy with lots of other things. We have always told her that she can never get old and at this rate she's not going to. We all love & miss you Ganny and hope you have a great day!!

3 comments:

Vanderlinden Clan said...

what a beautiful tribute... might I had one thing you forgot: the little mattress; we had to call that, too.

By the way, I've considered the $ thing with Sam. Unfortunately he has no understanding of money, and unfortunately he still has a strong will that bribes don't work. :(

Ganny said...

I cannnot believe this. It never went through again. All of them may come up. This is the fourth time. Well anyway. What a great tribute. I feel very humble. I know God has always had a purpose for me. I try to be pleasing to HIM and everyone around me. Getting old is not on my TO DO LIST. Everyday is a challenge. I can either put a lot into it or just let it pass idly by. I choose the first option. My theory is THE POWER BEHIND US IS FAR GREATER THAN THE TASK BEFORE US. I use this in every devotional I present on the Mission trips. Thanks so much for the kind words. We had fun and we did have WARRIOR POWER!!!!! Love Ganny

Dana Marie said...

I remember rolling down the hill in sheets. that was so fun!