Friday, May 30, 2008

5K for Brain Injury Association of Utah

Last weekend, while Ryan & Isac were livin' it up at the Fathers & Sons Campout, my sister Jen & I, along with our 2 two year olds & two 10 month olds; walked in the 5K for the Brain Injury Association of Utah.

We participated in honor of a sweet little guy, Charlie Cooper, who has fought a tough battle with meningitis which has left him with severe brain injuries.

Ryan made a post about him awhile back, and his story has really touched our family, especially because he is so close in age to our Mackey. Even though it was kind of a pain getting the kids around so early and everything that goes along with it, I was so glad we went. There were over 300 people there for Charlie, which was amazing to see, but what really stood out to me were all of the individuals there who obviously suffered from some type of brain injury. They were actually running in the race, some of them all alone, others being pushed in wheelchairs. Seeing all of these people made me realize that there are so many people out there who are going through challenging obstacles in life, without the tremendous support that Charlie's family has had. I do not mean to undermine this family's struggles in anyway, but it made me want to reach out to others who have no one reaching out to them but who needed to be reached out to. It was a good reminder to me that when we follow the Savior's example and bear one another's burdens we are all strengthen, lifted up, and become more like Him. I hope that we will all try to be aware of those around us who are suffering and that we will be willing and able to make someone else's journey here a little easier.

4 comments:

Candice said...

That is wonderful! I am so proud of you guys!!

Arin and Troy said...

Thanks for that important reminder. I really wish I would have been able to be there with you guys! I should have just called off, DARN IT!!

Jared & Tami said...

I couldn't have said it better my self. Thanks for the reminder!!! That is so awesome that you went :)

anderson5 said...

You are a good person and good example to me of helping others!